Friday, January 1, 2010

To Catch Everyone Up.

Hello Everyone,
Sorry it has taken so long to update my blog. Today is the first time I have had a chance to use the internet. So I will catch everyone up. So I just finished my time in training village. I was in Saare Samba for 2 months and I learned a decent amount of my language Wolof. My family was very nice and helpful. My family in my training village consisted of My father Keeba and his two wives Xojde and Mariama and their children. The first day in village I was certainly the most nervous I may have ever been. I could not speak any Wolof...except for my greetings. It was very interesting to say the least. My family was very good to me while I was there. While in training village I had a little brother that I feel you should know about. This boy is maybe 6 or so. He is an odd kid. Some of the things he did include the killing of baby birds and other small animals. Eating his own excrement, groping female trainees, as well as being quite the fighter. That made my time very odd and started quite a lot of jokes among we trainnees and volunteers. My meals during my time consisted of millet, rice, peanuts, and fish all quite bland, but piping hot. I started little phrases in my village randomly such as Baax Haile Dye! or "Watch Out Poop" and Fii Fii Fii:Fale Fale Fale or "here here here:There There There." Everywhere I went in village the air filled with childrens voices repeating these phrases. I enjoyed it at first...only at first. I did not realize at the time that it would not only annoy me, but every other trainee in our village. Overall, Saare Samba was an amazing experience in full. Every night I would lay down with my family outside on a tarp and drink Ataaya and stare at the stars. During my 2 months I was offered a wife and I was kicked out of my friends compound out of confusion. It was the most stressful time and the best time yet. I am going to add some pictures of my time so far. Hopefully they work. Next..............My Site!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting!!!! I've missed you!

    I must read on to the next comment.

    Love you.
    aunt k

    ReplyDelete