Saturday, January 16, 2010

Lizard Salad

Hello to all,
I have discovered a nice little internet cafe here in Farafenni, that should work fine for this. I hope all is well back i the USA. I am doing pretty well right now, I am currently suffering from some sort of stomach aliment. I have been pretty sick the last day or two, but overall everything is good. Some updates on everything, I was pickpocketed at my local market. The two involved in the heist set it up pretty well. A friend and myself were purchasing things in the market, when we got to a point where there was tight fit with everyone crowding one of the booths. I waited for it to break up a bit and went forward upon doing so I am shoved pretty hard by a man in front of me. I apologize to this man, but while he pushed me he knocked over a man behind me and in turn that man came to apologize to me. There was a moment of confusion and just like that my wallet was gone during the apologizes the asshole that pushed me some got my wallet out my pocket, while the other guy that was behind me apologized to me and had my attention. I went to the police the officer was very helpful and deeply ashamed that this happened to me. This same day something else happened. It was getting late at the market and I had about 15k to go to get back to my site. All the gelle gelle's were gone and I could not find a donkey or horse cart to ride back on. Until I found one man in my village that said he knew someone kind of heading that way. Now might I add that I am slowly learning an unwritten language and mistakes can and will be made. I am was sure we agreed on what it would cost and where we were going...Or so I thought. Everything started out fine at first we were on the road we supposed be on I recognized my surroundings and it all seemed good. Then, all of the sudden the horse cart buckles and the seven of us quickly get off. The man forgot tighten the wheel to the axle when replaced the tire earlier that day. At this point is starting to get a little dark and we are in the middle of the Gambian bush "hyena country." We get the tire sort fixed and we split up and 3 of us go to my site and the others get on another horse cart. The 3 of wobble into a village I am not familiar with people talking in a language I do not speak. I was not concerned yet, but when I wasn't even near my village yet and that we were not in my country anymore I grew weary. "I am tired...we stay here for the night." I immediately objected this and stated that I wanted to go to my site. As if things could not get anymore uncomfortable the villagers approach me requesting money, a bike, a broom. I was quite confused and worried. The man that was driving the horse cart decides that he wants me to have dinner with his family and that I should stay the night. Once again, I object and ask to go to my site. Finally, the brother of the guy with the horse cart says he will take me home. So I made it back right at dark after having my wallet stolen, leaving my country, and being completely beat. To top of all of these things that night while I explained the to my host family I completely didn't notice the Panticha "Awning" and walked right into it, fell on my butt and received a pretty nice cut on my head. My father felt so bad that he wanted to make me a nice breakfast. My host father informed me the next morning that one of my host mothers was going to bush for some bush meat. I was excited to see what she would bring back. Later, we seat down for breakfast and I see a plate of Lettuce! I was pumped! Then, I see a cauldron with lizard legs sticking out. I was stunned and I decided to try some I wouldn't turn it down it was a gift. So montar lizard tastes like chicken. I ate a lot. And here I am in Farrafenni with an upset stomach and a story or two to tell. Thats all that has really been happening lately. I will hopefully have pictures up the next time I post.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Craig....only you, man! But your life has always been "an adventure", so why should now be any different????
    But please don't get lost over there! You're quite cute and someone may take a liking to you and not want to send you back!!!
    It's very cool to read your posts, you're a good story teller, and it's good to know you're still taking everything in stride.
    Take care sweetie.
    I love you and miss you!
    Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizard? You're much more brave than we are! Glad to hear you're taking it all in stride. Looking forward to talking to you next time & also looking forward to seeing some pics!
    Love,
    Dad & Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures did post after all! Beautiful beaches and a beautiful country. Nice snake, too. POst pics of your family & hut in Kerr Katim.
    Dad & Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sweetheart I am very taken up with what all you are doing. I am so proud of you but,
    I would have been frightened to have made this last trip with you. I would have been so afraid I was never going to get back where I belonged. Chalk it up to age and oldtimers. You are doing so much that you would never have had the chance to do. Make the most of it and stay healthy and safe so you can come back to us all in one wonderful package. Follow you instincts as you did and you will come out alright. Remember I love you and miss you. Hurry back. Jessica had her little boy today and he is fine. Love Nanna

    ReplyDelete