Friday, November 6, 2009

Hello From Gambia

Hello,
I made it to The Gambia last night and have been busy since then. Multiple shots, binders, and paper work. This country from what I have seen so far is incredible. I am about an hour away from Banjul, I think. I have already seen some crazy stuff. We saw the President last night when we left the airport with his crew of stretch hummers and all. Goats are everywhere as well as dogs. When we got off the plane, you could smell the sea. There is sand everywhere and more taxis the one can count. The only bothersome thing is this heat. It is the hottest place I have ever been. Little wind, very humid, and very bright. Right now we (35 of us) are staying in the Peace Corps Transit House. It is very cool and some of the rooms have fans which kind of helps. I also saw a some funny things such as a car with a huge fridge tied to the roof. As well as a goat driving shotgun in a car. The people are so nice here and funny. I have a cell now. Apparently, we are the first groups of PCT's to have phones and plans paid for. Sorry Kathy I did not know this beforehand. I know this is jumbled but I am trying to think of everything. After tomorrow, I will be able to receive phone calls from out of country. It will cost you all, but not me. If you want the phone number email me and as soon as I get the net again I will send it to you. Talk to you all later.

4 comments:

  1. Jerome I'm so glad you're there and you like it so far! And you get a phone, that's so fancy!
    We love you and miss you already. Abel was "talking to you" on the phone today:)
    Keep a daily journal where you write down every detail so you can have it forever...because you won't remember everything good enough to save it for this blog, and it's not the same as having your own handwriting on good old fashioned paper. Write notes to Abel so he can read 'em in a few years! LOVE YOUUUU:)
    p.s., the only reason it says "blamethespam" is because I "had" to sign into this blog with an aol account so I used my instant messaging account from like...early high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for A GREAT UPDATE. It was so-o good to hear from you. Sorry about the heat. Maybe you will get use to it. At least it is not so humid! Do you get good food? & lots to drink?
    Prayers going up for you. LOVE, Marty & Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just re-read your comments. Dang it is humid too & little wind. Sorry about that!
    "Little wind, very humid, and very bright."

    Take care & know we are thinking of you especially during these holidays.
    Love, Marty & Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Mr Goldsmith......I think you'd better give me your phone number! 2 years is a long time, y'know.....
    I'm so excited for you, and reading your posts is such a thrill (cheap date, huh?) HA!
    I miss ya, but I'm so glad you're drinking it all in. Once in a lifetime man, once in a lifetime.
    Take care.
    Love you.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete