Friday, January 1, 2010

My Site.

Happy New Year Everyone,
My site for the next two years is called Kerr Katim. The last three days I was at my site visit. My father is a very cool guy. He is the Alkali of my village or the "mayor." He already has some projects going and has some great ideas for future projects in the village and surrounding area. My family in Kerr Katim consists of my father and my two mothers and maybe 30 kids ranging from all ages. Kerr Katim is located about 30k from Kerewan and 40k from Farafenni. Kerr Katim is a 2k walk from Minteh Kunda, which is located on North Bank road. I do not mean to confuse anyone with these geographic directions. Kerr Katim is a very small village of about 15 to 19 compounds a population of maybe 100 people. My house is at the back of the village separate from my fathers compound. From my backyard one only has to walk maybe 20 feet and you are in Senegal. My house consisted of a one room cement walled-grass thatched roof hut. I have a pit latrine in the backyard and plenty of eucalyptus trees surrounding my hut it is beautiful. My father is also a baker so I get free bread every morning. My food bowl has increased ten fold from my training village. My first lunch at my site consisted of DUCK!!!!! I was stoked and I am getting new fencing around my house and a new roof. Life is too good. I am really content with everything that happening in my life right now and have been thinking lately about how lucky I am to be able to have this opportunity to do this. Right now, I am back in Kombo or the capital region. I will be here for 2 weeks for the last of my training and swear-in and then off to my site for my two years. Too everyone I am going to have to get a new cell phone for my site because Africell does not have service at my site. When I find out what carrier I will use I will let you all know. Well that's all for now.
Bi Ci Kanam.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jeremy,
    Congratulations, and welcome to the best site in peace corps the gambia. I was the last volunteer there, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the place.

    There wasn't a sitebook, and when I left the site wasn't going to be used, but I'd like to get in touch with you and pass along any information I can. Good luck, stay healthy, and say hi to moustapha for me.

    Thanks,

    bjorn betzler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetie! I am so excited for you....you sound very happy and well and ready to take on the challenges! (I never doubted you....)

    Happy New Year to you, hope you had a little time to celebrate in your own way over there....

    You scared the crap outta me with that picture of you & the snake. I'm looking going, aw, there's my little cutie! He looks so happy......holy sh*t!!!! I gasped! There's a snake around his neck! What a little freak!

    I love you Craig. Miss, miss, miss you too.
    Can't wait to get a way to contact you & talk for a little bit.
    Nana says hi and she misses and loves you too. And take care!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweetheart I am so glad that you are enjoying your experience. I hope it is all you expected it to be. It sounds like you are having a great experience. I just got signed up on your blog. It took Aunt Kathy sometime to train me. Us old folks don't catch on as quickly as you savvy young ones do. I am glad that I can brag about what you are doing.

    I am glad to see all of the scenery and especially your sweet face. Take care of yourself and I will try to keep up with you. I am doing pretty well. Love you and miss you bunches.

    Nanna

    ReplyDelete